Sunday, August 14, 2011

Aug 14, 2011 Day 81

Doesn't feel like I have anything new to report.   I am still in a boot, partial weight bearing and with crutches.   My heel is still very uncomfortable and I have developed an "indention" on the inside of my heel that I am now concerened about.   I have also had lots of swelling.  I started a desk job so I'm not elevating during the day and by the time I get home, I am not able to put much weight on my foot.   I have been trying to go barefoot around the house and just touch my foot down.   I have very, very poor range of motion and doing the circles really causes my foot to be sore.   I also still have some "seeping" where the screw went in on the back of my heel.   Gosh, I hope I am not allergic to titanium!!

I really hope to be able to report positive news soon but right now, this is still a huge struggle for me.

3 comments:

  1. Hey, just checking in to see if you saw your surgeon again. I believe I read a few posts back that you were do for a checkup. I'm interested to hear what he says about the seeping.

    Keep your chin up. I didn't start walking without crutches or the boot until around day 82. I may have been too aggressive which may be why I developed plantar fasciatis. Just go at your own pace and call your doc if you have questions.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I saw my surgeon last Friday. Seeping was just very slow healing over the screw incision due to the blood blister. (I could have told them that.I was expecting more of an exlanation from them!!)

    I started my PT today! I am thrilled because the concerns I have had, he said were pretty normal for being in a cast/boot for three months. I have a long ways to go. I will be 91 days out tomorrow!!
    I am still to use crutches for any kind of walking other than around house. The cut on the bone has fused together but the bone areas on the side where I have a ledge now and a overhang on the other side haven't fused to their new areas yet. That is what is causeing so much swelling and pain. I am so far behind your pace but I am being patient. I didn't have near the pain that you experienced at the beginning so I guess I'll just be patient. The heel pain is the worst isn't it???

    ReplyDelete
  3. Heel pain was the worst starting out but it seemed the shooting pain in my foot lasted longer. So happy those are both behind me though.

    Sounds like your surgery was more complex than mine. My bones were fully healed after 6 weeks. Believe it or not though, you're probably through the worst of it. PT is challenging and you will be sore after but it didn't compare at all to the pain I was in immediately after surgery.

    Glad you're feeling better about things. Going forward, whenever you have a down day (which you will), take a look back through your blog and you will realize how far along you have come. It's kind of a nice reminder....

    ReplyDelete